ALL LEVELS / New Year’s strength workout / 30 minutes
Equipment: Dumbbells, dips bar, gym bench & kettlebell
New Year, new you? We’re team New Year, new workouts! That’s right. At EVO, we’re always trying to present you with inventive training sessions to keep you going throughout the year. 2023 won’t be an exception, and here’s our first workout of the year to prove it.
Just like everyone else, you will want to start the year strong. That’s why we decided to create this New Year’s strength workout. This 30-minute-long session has 3 groups, each with a different number of reps. Every group is a tri-set: 3 exercises to perform back to back with no break in between. You must complete 3 rounds before moving on to the next group. Rest for 1 minute between groups.
- Dumbbell sumo squat 12x
- Push-up 12x
- Renegade row into push-up 12x
- Dumbbell lunge 20x
- Dumbbell military press 20x
- Dips 20x
- Bulgarian split squats 12x
- Kettlebell bent over row 12x
- Curls to shoulder press 12x
Ready to start the year strong?
- 3 groups with 3 exercises
- Different number of reps
- 3 rounds each group
- No rest between exercises and rounds
- 1-min rest after each group
- 30 minutes
- Equipment: Dumbbells, dips bar, gym bench & kettlebell
WORKING OUT FROM HOME? NO PROBLEM.
If you don’t have the equipment originally needed for this workout, you can substitute it with these everyday items or use these alternative exercises.
- Dumbbells = water bottles filled with water and / or sand
- Dips bar and gym bench = stable chair or small table
- Kettlebell = bag with some weights, such as books, cans of food
WORKOUT EXERCISE LIST
1 – DUMBBELL SUMO SQUAT
- Grab a dumbbell and hold it with both hands. You should stretch your arms, and the dumbbell should be in front of your waist.
- Feet apart (about twice your shoulder width) with your toes pointing out slightly.
- Lower your body as far as you can, hips back and knees bent.
- Pause before pushing yourself to the starting position.
- Maintain your core tight and your torso upright.
2 – PUSH-UP
- Start in a plank position with arms straight, shoulders above wrists, and body in a straight line.
- Engage the core and glutes.
- Keeping the shoulders over the wrists, lower the whole body towards the floor, dropping comfortably as low as you can.
- Push the body upwards and return to the start position. Repeat.
3 – RENEGADE ROW INTO PUSH-UP
- Grab two dumbbells and set your body up in a high plank position.
- Your hands and feet should be more than shoulder-width apart.
- Engage your core and row one dumbbell at a time towards your chest. Make sure your back stays as still as possible.
- Now with your chest parallel to your hands, perform a push-up. That’s one rep.
1 – DUMBBELL LUNGE
- Stand tall and hold the dumbbells by your shoulders.
- Step your right leg forward keeping the heel down.
- Raise the heel of the left leg.
- Then, lower the torso until the back knee touches the ground, with a full hip and knee extension.
2 – DUMBBELL MILITARY PRESS
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Set the shoulders and engage the core.
- Lift your arms up so that they make a straight line with your shoulders.
- Bend your elbows to a 45-degree angle.
- Lower the dumbbells and return to the 45-degree angle starting position.
- Throughout the whole exercise, maintain your core tight, shoulder blades squeezed together and your torso upright.
3 – DIPS
- Grab the bars and boost yourself up. Engage the core, looking forward.
- Bend your knees — it will help you with stabilisation.
- Keeping your elbows at your side, lower your body. Your triceps should be parallel to the floor.
- Bring yourself back up without locking your elbows.
1 – BULGARIAN SPLIT SQUATS
12 reps each leg
- Find yourself a step, bench or any other contraption that you can rest a foot on. It needs to be about knee height.
- Get into a forward lunge position with your torso upright, core braced, hips square to your body, and your back foot on the bench. Your leading leg should be half a meter in front of the bench.
- Lower until your front thigh is almost horizontal, keeping your knee in line with your foot. Don’t let your front knee pass beyond your toes.
- Drive up through your front foot back to the starting position, again keeping your movements controlled.
- Repeat 12 times then swap to the other leg.
2 – KETTLEBELL BENT OVER ROW
12 reps each arm
- Lean forward at a 45-degree angle.
- Keep the weight on your heels and bend your knees.
- Keep your back flat from shoulder to hips.
- With the kettlebell on your right arm, row the kettlebell up towards your hip.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Control the movement and bring the kettlebell down.
- Repeat the same reps with the other arm.
3 – CURLS TO SHOULDER PRESS
- Grab two dumbbells with adequate weight for your fitness level.
- Standing up straight, have the dumbbells resting at your sides with the palms facing inwards.
- Slowly raise your forearms forward until your wrist rests above your elbow.
- Now explosively lock out your arms and raise the dumbbells above your head.
- Hold the position for a second and return to the starting point by reversing the motion.
The first workout of the year was New Year’s strength workout. Find your next workouts below:
- 12-min EMOM Christmas workout
- 12-min full-body strength workout
- 30-min full-body strength workout
- 30-min full-body bodyweight workout
- Full-body workout for time
- 20-min full-body workout
- 35-min lower body strength workout
- 30-min upper body strength workout
- 20-min functional full-body workout
- 30-min full-body workout
- 35-min full-body strength workout
- 11-minute AMRAP cardio workout
- 15-min lower body strength workout