ALL LEVELS / bodyweight cardio workout / 10 minutes
Equipment: Exercise mat
There’s an old misconception regarding gym equipment. We can surely concede that machines are helpful for a specific set of goals, especially in the strength training area — and we have all the gear you need for that in our gyms. Our approach, however, is more on the functional fitness side. This means we believe your body can be your gym and that you can achieve your fitness goals using only your body weight.
This workout proves just that — you can burn a good amount of calories without resorting to any fitness gear besides your own body. It’s a 10-minute bodyweight cardio workout with 5 exercises only in 4 rounds. You’ll perform each exercise for 30 seconds and the goal is to complete the 10 minutes without stopping to rest. Seems simple? Well, we made it more challenging by changing the order of the exercises. Here’s the deal: you’ll perform the first exercise, followed by the second one, but then you’ll return to the first one — you’ll do so until you complete the first five moves. After that, you’ll repeat the process but start from the second exercise, thus eliminating the first one.
- Jumping jacks – Ex1
- Squat jump – Ex2
- Mountain climbers – Ex3
- Bicycle crunch – Ex4
- Side to side – Ex5
Order how to perform the exercises:
- 1st round: Ex1, Ex2, Ex1, Ex3, Ex1, Ex4, Ex1, Ex5
- 2nd round: Ex2, Ex3, Ex2, Ex4, Ex2, Ex5
- 3rd round: Ex3, Ex4, Ex3, Ex5
- 4th round: Ex4, Ex5
When you’re ready, let’s get moving!
- 5 exercises
- 4 rounds
- 30 seconds each exercise
- Always return to first exercise
- Each round eliminate the first exercise
- 10 minutes
- Equipment: Exercise mat
WORKING OUT FROM HOME? NO PROBLEM.
EVO nurtures natural movement and our workouts, such as this one, usually require little to no equipment and minimal training space, making it easy to perform them everywhere.
WORKOUT EXERCISE LIST
4 rounds, always returning to the first exercise. Eliminate the first one after each round and restart from there.
1 – JUMPING JACKS
- Start in a standing position with arms by your sides. Engage the core slightly and set the shoulders, ready for movement.
- Keeping arms and legs straight (but not locked out) simultaneously jump the legs out to the sides and raise the arms to shoulder height. Stabilise the hips, core and shoulder girdle.
- Return to start and continue at a controlled rhythmic pace for 30 seconds.
2 – SQUAT JUMPS
- Find some space and stand with feet hip-width apart. Engage the core and set the shoulders slightly, ready for movement.
- Quickly bend the knees and hips (to about a ¼ squat position) as you move the arms backwards. Keep the knees over the toes throughout this part.
- As soon as you hit the lowest spot, rapidly extend the hips and drive the arms up to straighten the body and perform a small jump.
- Keep the core tight and remain balanced as you land, allowing the knees and hips to bend slightly to absorb the force.
- Reset the body and repeat.
3 – MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS
- Start with your hands on the floor at shoulder-width, with arms extended.
- The hands must be aligned with your chest line.
- Try to maintain your trunk straight while you pull your knee to the projected chest line on the floor.
- Alternate pulling your knees to the projected chest line.
- Make sure you’re standing on your hands with a tight core.
4 – BICYCLE CRUNCH
- Lie on the floor with your lower back on the ground and your knees flexed. Engage your core.
- Place your hands behind your head, pull your shoulders from the floor and raise your feet from the floor.
- Emulate the bicycle pedal motion and bring one knee up, stretching the other.
- Simultaneously, rotate your torso to help your knee touch your opposite elbow.
- Do the same on the other side and repeat.
5 – SIDE TO SIDE
- Start with your legs more than hip distance apart, with your core tight and a soft bend in the knees.
- Sit back into your hips and gently hop sideways to the left with your left leg leading.
- Reach your right hand towards your left leg and touch the floor. This is one rep.
- Use your core and upper legs to bring yourself back up and hop sideways to the right, reaching your left hand toward your right foot.
- Increase your speed to intensify that cardio power.
That was our bodyweight cardio workout. If you’re trying to find more challenges like this, check the list below:
- 20-min shoulders and core workout
- 40-min functional full-body workout
- 20-min functional partner workout
- 12-min kettlebell Tabata workout
- 20-min full-body functional workout
- 20-min metabolic strength workout
- 20-min upper body strength workout
- 9-min cardio AMRAP workout
- 30-min New Year’s strength workout
- 12-min EMOM Christmas workout
- 12-min full-body strength workout
- 30-min full-body strength workout
- 30-min full-body bodyweight workout