ALL LEVELS / metabolic strength workout / 20 minutes
Equipment: Kettlebell, dumbbells & resistance band
In our first session of 2023, we vowed to bring you different workouts to keep you motivated and EVOlving throughout the year. We promised, and now we deliver with a new approach: metabolic training.
Due to its combination of high and moderate-intensity exercises, this type of workout burns more energy, not only during your session but also after you finish your training. Metabolic workouts use compound exercises (movements that engage more than one muscle group simultaneously), and these raise your metabolic rate. The higher your metabolic rate, the more calories you’ll burn, making it a perfect workout to build muscle and lose body fat.
Our first approach to this type of training is a 20-min metabolic strength workout. It’s formed of 2 groups, with 4 exercises each to complete in 3 rounds before moving on to the second group. You must perform each exercise for 30 seconds, without resting between them. You’ll get 30 seconds to rest between rounds and 1 minute between groups.
- Kettlebell swing
- Kettlebell squat
- Kettlebell squat to upright row with resistance band
- Mountain climbers
- Dumbbell hang power clean
- Dumbbell military press
- Curl to shoulder press
- Jumping lunges
Let’s get your metabolic rate high up there!
- 2 groups with 4 exercises
- 4 rounds each group
- 30-sec on for each exercise
- No rest between exercises
- 30-sec rest between rounds
- 1-min rest between groups
- 20 minutes
- Equipment: Kettlebell, dumbbells & resistance band
WORKING OUT FROM HOME? NO PROBLEM.
If you don’t have the equipment originally needed for this workout, you can substitute it with these everyday items or use these alternative exercises.
- Kettlebell = bag with some weights, such as books, cans of food
- Dumbbells = water bottles filled with water and / or sand
WORKOUT EXERCISE LIST
1 – KETTLEBELL SWING
- Hold the kettlebell with both hands.
- Hinge the hips to initiate the swing movement.
- Rapidly drive hip extension to swing the kettlebell upwards.
- Control your swing descent with a hip hinge by swinging the kettlebell between your legs.
2 – KETTLEBELL SQUAT
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Pick a kettlebell with both hands and hold it.
- Keeping the kettlebell close to your chest, do a squat and maintain your chest and back straight.
- Make sure you keep your core tight.
- Slowly come back up and repeat.
3 – KETTLEBELL SQUAT TO UPRIGHT ROW WITH RESISTANCE BAND
- Pick a kettlebell and place it on the floor between your feet. Run the band through the kettlebell handle and it under each foot. Your feet should be shoulder-width apart.
- Grab the kettlebell by the handle and stand up straight. Keep your core engaged and shoulder blades squeezed together.
- Lower yourself into a squat position.
- As you extend your legs, pull the kettlebell’s handle up to your collarbone with elbows leading the movement.
- Then, slowly lower the kettlebell back down into the starting position and repeat.
4 – MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS
- Start with your hands on the floor at shoulder-width, with arms extended.
- The hands must be in line with your chest line.
- Try to maintain your trunk straight while you pull your knee to the projected chest line on the floor.
- Pull your knees alternately to your chest.
- Make sure you’re standing on your hands with a tight core.
1 – DUMBBELL HANG POWER CLEAN
- Grab two dumbbells and rest them over your shoulder.
- Engage the core and maintain your back straight. That’s your starting position.
- Deadlift the dumbbells between your legs into a hang position.
- Then, extend your hips and legs quickly, returning to the start position.
2 – DUMBBELL MILITARY PRESS
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Set the shoulders and engage the core.
- Lift your arms up so that they make a straight line with your shoulders.
- Bend your elbows to a 45-degree angle.
- Lower the dumbbells and return to the 45-degree angle starting position.
- Throughout the whole exercise, maintain your core tight, shoulder blades squeezed together and your torso upright.
3 – CURL TO SHOULDER PRESS
- Grab two dumbbells with adequate weight for your fitness level.
- Standing up straight, have the dumbbells resting at your sides with the palms facing inwards.
- Slowly raise your forearms forward until your wrist rests above your elbow.
- Now explosively lock out your arms and raise the dumbbells above your head.
- Hold the position for a second and return to the starting point by reversing the motion.
4 – JUMPING LUNGES
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, core engaged, and shoulders set
- Jump straight up and split the legs into a lunge, allowing the back knee to drop close to the floor. Keep the core engaged and the torso upright. Use the arms in opposition to the legs to counterbalance the movement (if necessary).
- As soon as you hit the lowest point, explosively jump upwards and split the legs on the other side. Maintain your balance and position throughout the movement.
There you go, an intense metabolic strength workout. Find more challenges below:
- 20-min upper body strength workout
- 9-min cardio AMRAP workout
- 30-min New Year’s strength workout
- 12-min EMOM Christmas workout
- 12-min full-body strength workout
- 30-min full-body strength workout
- 30-min full-body bodyweight workout
- Full-body workout for time
- 20-min full-body workout
- 35-min lower body strength workout
- 30-min upper body strength workout
- 20-min functional full-body workout
- 30-min full-body workout