ALL LEVELS / full-body functional workout / 20 minutes
Equipment: Gym mat & gym bench
If there’s something we strive for is to welcome every fitness approach in our clubs. From strength to functional, from cardio to HIIT, over the years we succeeded in making our gyms optimal for every fitness enthusiast. And while we can’t say we have a favourite type, we can admit we’re very fond of functional training – after all, that was our core when we first started.
Functional fitness is a type of training that equips your body for real-life, daily challenges. This means that its exercises mimic foundational movements that you do every day, such as bending, climbing, twisting, pushing or squatting to improve the so-called functional strength.
And that’s precisely what you’ll find in this full-body functional workout. Built as a challenge, it has 5 exercises, with a specific number of reps. The goal is to complete them in under 20 minutes. Remember that you can have as many rounds as you need and rest as many times as you want. The only obligation is to complete the reps of each exercise in 20 minutes and, of course, to challenge yourself.
- Squats 50x
- V-sit explosive 50x
- Push-ups 25x
- Burpees 25x
- Step ups 100x
Ready? Let’s have some fun!
- 5 exercises
- Different number of reps
- As many rounds as you need
- Rest as you need too
- 20 minutes
- Equipment: Gym mat & gym bench
WORKING OUT FROM HOME? NO PROBLEM
If you don’t have the equipment originally needed for this workout, you can substitute it with these everyday items or use these alternative exercises.
- Gym bench = stable chair
WORKOUT EXERCISE LIST
As many rounds as you need
1 – SQUATS
- Stand on your feet, placing them at the same distance as that of your shoulder lines.
- Engage the core and go down to the floor, maintaining your knees on the line of your feet. Maintain the abs and glutes tight to control your hip and stabilize the movement. Use your arms to help you with your balance.
- Keep your feet attached to the floor and squat as down as possible without lifting the heels or feeling pain in your lower back.
2 – V-SIT EXPLOSIVE
- Lie on your back with your arms overhead.
- Engage the core, and rapidly bring the hands to the feet, while making a v-position with your body.
- Make sure you keep the arms and legs as straight as possible.
- Return under control and repeat.
3 – PUSH-UPS
- Start in a plank position with arms straight, shoulders above wrists, and body in a straight line.
- Engage the core and glutes.
- Keeping the shoulders over the wrists, lower the whole body towards the floor, dropping comfortably as low as you can.
- Push the body upwards and return to the start position. Repeat.
4 – BURPEES
- Start in a standing position and engage the core.
- Begin the movement by quickly bending down, reaching the hands towards the floor in front of the feet.
- As you do this, simultaneously jump, bring your legs back and land on the floor in a push-up position.
- Perform a push-up and, on the way up, drive the hips up rapidly and jump into a squat position.
- Return to upright and repeat.
5 – STEP UPS
- Place a gym box in front of you.
- Step up with the right foot — press through the heel to straighten the leg.
- The left foot should then meet the right one on the top of the step.
- Bend your right knee and step down with the opposite foot.
- Do the same with the left leg.
That’s it for our full-body functional workout. Looking for another challenge? Find it below:
- 20-min metabolic strength workout
- 20-min upper body strength workout
- 9-min cardio AMRAP workout
- 30-min New Year’s strength workout
- 12-min EMOM Christmas workout
- 12-min full-body strength workout
- 30-min full-body strength workout
- 30-min full-body bodyweight workout
- Full-body workout for time
- 20-min full-body workout
- 35-min lower body strength workout
- 30-min upper body strength workout
- 20-min functional full-body workout