Personal trainer from Vienna
Jakob is a highly experienced personal trainer who specializes in health and mobility training. He supports his customer with weight loss, as well helps to build a strong muscular body.
Follow him on Instagram: @fitterritter
35-MIN FUNCTIONAL FULL-BODY WORKOUT
ALL LEVELS / functional full-body workout / 35 minutes
Equipment: Resistance band, dumbbells & exercise mat
Functional fitness is about making our lives easier. Why? Because it aims for developing and mastering movements that you replicate in your daily tasks, such as squatting, reaching or carrying objects. To do so, these workouts comprise compound exercises that target your whole body. Today’s training session is no exception.
It’s a 35-min functional full-body workout designed by Jakob Ritter, our personal trainer from EVO Mariahilfer Straße in Vienna. He has already provided us with 2 different functional workouts for strength, that you can find here and here.
You will be performing 5 exercises and the whole workout will take you around 35 minutes. Each exercise has its own rep range — we leave the exact number up to you — but you should perform them all for 4 rounds.
- Advanced push-up — 8-12 reps
- Resistance band pull-apart — 12-15 reps
- Crunch with single-leg raise — 10 reps each leg
- Superman lat pull — 12 reps
- Side squat — 12 reps each leg
Time to put the fun in functional!
- 5 exercises
- 8-15 reps, depending on the exercise
- 4 rounds
- 35 minutes
- Equipment: Resistance band, dumbbells & exercise mat
WORKING OUT FROM HOME? NO PROBLEM.
If you don’t have the equipment originally needed for this workout, you can substitute it with these everyday items or use these alternative exercises.
- Dumbbells = water bottles filled with water and / or sand
WORKOUT EXERCISE LIST
1 – ADVANCED PUSH-UP
- Place a mat on the floor and set yourself up in a push-up stance with your glutes raised up in the air. This is the starting position.
- Slowly lower your upper body towards your hands by bending your elbows.
- Try to push your elbows slightly backwards instead of pushing them to the sides.
- Hold the bottom position for a brief moment and push yourself back up to the starting position.
2 – RESISTANCE BAND PULL-APART
- Stand up straight on a light resistance band with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Have your elbows slightly bend and to your sides. This is the starting position.
- Slowly raise your arms towards shoulder height, followed by pulling it apart as indicated in the video.
- Hold the position for a moment and slowly rewind the movement to the starting position.
3 – CRUNCH WITH SINGLE-LEG RAISE
10 reps each leg, 4 rounds
- Place a mat on the ground and lie flat on your back. Now raise one leg about 30 centimetres off the floor. Your hands should be pointing towards the direction of the raised leg. This is the starting position.
- Perform a crunch by raising your upper body off the floor as indicated in the video.
- Try to pass your knee with your hands at the top position.
- Hold the top position for a second and slowly return to the starting position.
4 – SUPERMAN LAT PULL
12 reps, 4 rounds
- Grab two very light dumbbells.
- Lie flat on the ground with your face down and with your arms above your head. This will be the starting position.
- Raise your arms and legs off the floor and pull the dumbbells towards your sides as shown in the video.
- Hold the flexed position for a moment, followed by slowly returning to the starting point.
5 – SIDE SQUAT
12 Reps each leg, 4 rounds
- Place your feet wide apart with your knees slightly bend and your upper body straight. This will be the starting position.
- Slowly squat down towards one side as shown in the video.
- Your knees should not surpass your toes by a lot.
- Push yourself back up and repeat for the desired rep range.
If you enjoyed this functional full-body workout, you might also like:
- 20-min stability workout
- 20-min abs and core workout
- 30-min total core workout
- 30-min upper body workout
- 12-min kettlebell mobility flow
- 16-min EMOM workout
- Full-body Yoga tone workout
- Full-body workout for strength and mobility
- 45-min strength and endurance workout
- 35-min kettlebell workout for strength and power
- Full-body dumbbell workout
- Functional shoulder workout
- 35-min functional strength workout
- 30-min functional workout for strength
- 30-min Pilates workout for strength and power
- 30-min full-body HIIT workout