ALL LEVELS / full-body EMOM workout / 15 minutes
Equipment: Gym bench & exercise mat
Whether you love HIIT or hate HIIT, you have to recognize the benefits of HIIT workouts. Among others, this type of training burns many calories in a short amount of time, keeps your metabolic rate higher for hours after exercise, and helps you lose fat.
HIIT training comes in many forms, EMOM being one of them. It stands for “every minute on the minute,” which means you must complete a predefined number of reps of different exercises within 60 seconds. Then, if you have any time left, you can use it to rest before moving on to the next group of exercises or reps.
Today’s session is a full-body EMOM workout with a slight change to make it more challenging. Instead of 1 minute, we will give you 3 minutes. During each one of those 3-minute intervals, you’ll perform 3 different groups of exercises. One group targets your upper body, the other your lower body, and we finish the 3 minutes with a cardio exercise. You’ll repeat this sequence for 5 rounds and that will take you around 15 minutes.
- Push-ups 12x
- Dips 12x
- Abdominal row 12x
- Squats 15x
- Lunge jumps 15x
- V-sit explosive 15x
- Side to side 25x
When you’re ready, let’s do this!
- 7 exercises
- 3 groups
- 5 rounds
- EMOM but with 3 minutes – each group
- 15 minutes total
- Equipment: Gym bench & exercise mat
WORKING OUT FROM HOME? NO PROBLEM.
If you don’t have the equipment originally needed for this workout, you can substitute it with these everyday items or use these alternative exercises.
- Gym bench = stable chair
WORKOUT EXERCISE LIST
3 minutes each group, 5 rounds
1 – PUSH-UPS
- Start in a plank position with arms straight, shoulders above wrists, and body in a straight line.
- Engage the core and glutes.
- Keeping the shoulders over the wrists, lower the whole body towards the floor, dropping comfortably as low as you can.
- Push the body upwards and return to the start position. Repeat.
2 – DIPS
- Sit on the edge of the gym bench. Grasp the edge of it, pointing your fingers to your feet. Make sure your legs are extended, with your heels touching the floors.
- With your palms, press to lift your body and slide forward, clearing the edge of the bench.
- Now lower yourself until your elbows are bent.
- Slowly push yourself back up to the starting position.
3 – ABDOMINAL ROW
- Lie on your back with legs straight, feet together. Place arms straight overhead. Flatten your lower back slightly into the floor.
- Begin the movement by bringing the knees towards the chest and simultaneously bringing the hands to touch the feet. Although the legs will bend, the arms remain straight. Imagine drawing a semicircle shape with the arms as they come towards the feet to make it easier.
- Maintain balance and control as the hands touch the feet.
- Return under control and repeat.
1 – SQUATS
- Stand on your feet, placing them at the same distance as that of your shoulder lines.
- Engage the core and go down to the floor, maintaining your knees on the line of your feet. Maintain the abs and glutes tight to control your hip and stabilize the movement. Use your arms to help you with your balance.
- Keep your feet attached to the floor and squat as down as possible without lifting the heels or feeling pain in your lower back.
2 – LUNGE JUMPS
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, core engaged, and shoulders set
- Jump straight up and split the legs into a lunge, allowing the back knee to drop close to the floor. Keep the core engaged and the torso upright. Use the arms in opposition to the legs to counterbalance the movement (if necessary).
- As soon as you hit the lowest point, explosively jump upwards and split the legs on the other side. Maintain your balance and position throughout the movement.
3 – V-SIT EXPLOSIVE
- Lie on your back with arms overhead.
- Engage the core, and rapidly bring the hands to the feet, while making a v-position with your body.
- Make sure you keep the arms and legs as straight as possible.
- Return under control and repeat.
1 – SIDE TO SIDE
- Start with your legs more than hip distance apart, with your core tight and a soft bend in the knees.
- Sit back into your hips and gently hop sideways to the left with your left leg leading.
- Reach your right hand towards your left leg and touch the floor. This is one rep.
- Use your core and upper legs to bring yourself back up and hop sideways to the right, reaching your left hand toward your right foot.
- Increase your speed to intensify that cardio power.
If you enjoyed this full-body EMOM workout, you might enjoy these:
- 12-min cardio AMRAP workout
- 20-min pyramid functional workout
- 20-min functional full-body workout
- 15-min rowing workout
- 10-min functional upper body workout
- 20-min lower body dumbbell workout
- 20-min strength cable workout
- 18-min EMOM workout for strength
- 15-min full-body Tabata workout
- 10-min bodyweight cardio workout
- 20-min shoulders and core workout
- 40-min functional full-body workout
- 20-min partner workout
- 20-min cardio and abs workout
- 40-min functional strength workout