ALL LEVELS / AMRAP core workout / 10 minutes
Equipment: Medicine ball, dumbbells & step
There’s a reason why we say strong to the core. The core represents the part of something that is fundamental to its existence, and that’s exactly what we can say about our body’s core. After all, the core establishes a connection between your back, hip, pelvic, glute and abdominal muscles. Having a strong core improves your activities, making them easier. It will also help you prevent injuries and make you overall stronger. However, multiple strength workouts tend to dismiss core exercises, so we decided we should bring one to wrap up February.
A quick and effective AMRAP core workout. In case you don’t know, AMRAP is a type of HIIT workout (High-Intensity Interval Training) that stands for As Many Rounds Reps as Possible. For this specific workout, we’re going for reps. You have 4 exercises (1 unilateral) that you must do for a full minute in a row without resting. This workout has 2 rounds that will take 10 minutes to complete.
- Jacknives with medicine ball
- Side plank leg raises – right side
- Side plank leg raises – left side
- Russian twist
- Knee to chest
Let’s get to the core of this workout!
- 4 exercises (1 unilateral)
- 1 minute for each exercise
- 2 rounds
- No rest
- 10 minutes total
- Equipment: Medicine ball, dumbbell & step
WORKING OUT FROM HOME? NO PROBLEM
If you don’t have the equipment originally needed for this workout, you can substitute it with these everyday items or use these alternative exercises.
- Medicine ball = a book or a small bag with weights
- Step = a couch or pillows on the floor
- Dumbbells = water bottles filled with water and / or sand
WORKOUT EXERCISE LIST
1 – JACKKNIVES WITH MEDICINE BALL
- Sit on a step holding a medicine ball with your right hand.
- Lifting your feet off the ground, engage the core and stretch your arms, holding the ball in one hand. This is your starting position.
- Bend your knees, bringing them towards your chest.
- With your body in a V-shape position, pass the ball behind your thighs to your left hand.
- Extend your legs and get back to your starting position.
2 – SIDE PLANK LEG RAISES
1 minute on each side
- Lay down over the mat on your left side.
- Place your left elbow on the mat, and extend both legs while lifting your whole body off the mat.
- Make sure your core is engaged and that your body is in a straight line.
- Now, lift your right leg higher than your top hip and hold for a few seconds.
- Then, bring the knee of your top leg and elbow together. Perform for 1 minute.
- Change sides.
3 – RUSSIAN TWIST
- Sit on the ground with your knees bent.
- Lift your feet from the ground.
- Hold the dumbbell with both hands. Move the kettlebell from one side to another over the hip.
- Keep your legs stable and your back straight.
4 – KNEE TO CHEST
- Lie facing upwards with your knees bent 90 degrees and feet firmly on the floor.
- Position your feet with your heel only a few inches away from your bottom. Press into your heels, lifting your hips and bottom slowly away from the floor. Concentrate on tightening your glutes.
- With tightened glutes, raise your hips and bring your right knee towards your chest. Be sure to keep your torso area still and keep your left knee comfortably locked.
- Bring your right knee back down to the floor slowly.
- Alternate legs for 1 minute.
Strong to the core with this AMRAP core workout! Find more workouts below:
- 30-min chest and triceps workout
- 20-min superset workout
- 10-min no-equipment cardio workout
- 12-min kettlebell Tabata workout
- 20-min full-body functional workout
- 20-min metabolic strength workout
- 20-min upper body strength workout
- 9-min cardio AMRAP workout
- 30-min New Year’s strength workout
- 12-min EMOM Christmas workout
- 12-min full-body strength workout
- 30-min full-body strength workout
- 30-min full-body bodyweight workout