ALL LEVELS / push and pull strength workout / 20 minutes
Equipment: Weight plate, lat pull-down machine, dumbbells
We just recently wrote extensively about push and pull training. In case you missed it, we can explain it briefly. The push and pull routine combines these two fundamental movements — pushing and pulling — to create a strength training plan that’s both challenging and effective. Since they’re both focused on upper body movements, usually this split includes a leg day or two, depending on the number of days your workout plan has.
For example, 3-day push and pull routine would be like this:
- Monday: Push day
- Wednesday: Pull day
- Friday: Leg day
Today we’re combining this philosophy in a single session — legs included. In this push and pull strength workout you have 3 exercises with 12 reps each. You have 5 rounds to complete and you get to rest for 30 seconds between exercises. Overall, this workout will take you around 20 minutes to finish.
- Loaded push-up
- Lat pull-down
- Dumbbell sumo squat
Ready? Let’s try this push and pull strength workout!
- 3 exercises
- 12 reps
- 5 rounds
- 30-sec rest between exercises
- 20 minutes total
- Equipment: Weight plate, lat pull-down machine, dumbbells
WORKOUT EXERCISE LIST
1 – LOADED PUSH-UP
- Place a suitable weight plate on your back. Extend one leg at a time until you’re in a plank position.
- Then, keep your arms straight, shoulders above wrists, and body in a straight line. Engage the core and glutes.
- Keeping the shoulders over the wrists, lower the whole body towards the floor, dropping comfortably as low as you can.
- Push the body upwards and return to the start position.
- Perform the exercise very slowly – 5-6 seconds down and 5-6 seconds up.
2 – LAT PULL-DOWN
- Sit on the bench facing the hands and use a setting that lets your thighs or knees push against the cushion for stability.
- Grab the handles in your preferred grip.
- Extend your arms and upper body to increase the range of motion.
- When pulling down, lean a bit back. Think of leading the movement through your elbows, as shown in the video.
3 – DUMBBELL SUMO SQUAT
- Grab a dumbbell and hold it with both hands. You should stretch your arms, and the dumbbell should be in front of your waist.
- Feet apart (about twice your shoulder width) with your toes pointing out slightly.
- Lower your body as far as you can, hips back and knees bent.
- Pause before pushing yourself to the starting position.
- Maintain your core tight and your torso upright.
Hope you enjoyed this push and pull strength workout, but if you’re looking for a different challenge, check out below:
- 12-min endurance workout
- 15-min AMRAP metabolic strength workout
- 10-min AMRAP core workout
- 30-min chest and triceps workout
- 20-min superset workout
- 10-min no-equipment cardio workout
- 12-min kettlebell Tabata workout
- 20-min full-body functional workout
- 20-min metabolic strength workout
- 20-min upper body strength workout
- 9-min cardio AMRAP workout
- 30-min New Year’s strength workout
- 12-min EMOM Christmas workout