ALL LEVELS / functional strength workout / 25 minutes
Equipment: Dumbbells & hip-thrust machine
Often overlooked when it comes to strength workouts, functional training has an unexploited potential to help you increase your strength. This type of exercise mimics day-to-day activities and guarantees that you can do these movements efficiently and injury-free. With this extra strength component, you can reinforce the link between strength and function, making your daily tasks easier.
That’s the goal of this functional strength workout. It has 6 exercises with 12 reps each. Complete 3 rounds, and rest for 1 minute between them. To make it more efficient, you don’t rest between exercises. In total, this workout should take you around 25 minutes to complete.
- Dumbbell lunges
- Dumbbell deadlifts
- Hip thrust
- Curl to shoulder press
- Plank row
Let’s have some fun(ctional)!
- 6 exercises
- 12 reps each
- 3 rounds
- 1-min rest between rounds
- 25 minutes total
- Equipment: Dumbbells & hip-thrust machine
WORKOUT EXERCISE LIST
1 – DUMBBELL LUNGES
- Stand tall and hold the dumbbells by your shoulders.
- Step your right leg forward keeping the heel down.
- Raise the heel of the left leg.
- Then, lower the torso until the back knee touches the ground, with a full hip and knee extension.
2 – DUMBBELL DEADLIFTS
- Begin by standing, holding a dumbbell in each hand. As the video shows, the dumbbells can be positioned in front of the body; however, if this puts too much stress on your low back, hold the dumbbells by your side.
- Engage the core and begin the movement by bending the knees slightly and hinging the hips. Then continue the bending by pushing the hips backwards, lowering the dumbbells as far as comfortable.
- At the bottom of the movement, actively engage the glutes, push the feet into the floor and drive the hips upwards and forwards to return to the start position.
3 – PUSH-UPS
- Start in a plank position with arms straight, shoulders above wrists, and body in a straight line.
- Engage the core and glutes.
- Keeping the shoulders over the wrists, lower the whole body towards the floor, dropping comfortably as low as you can.
- Push the body upwards and return to the start position. Repeat.
4 – HIP THRUST
- Position yourself in the machine, placing your feet hip-wide apart and at a distance that keeps your shins vertical when extending the hip (see video).
- Lower the cushion on your pelvis.
- Drive your hips up, lifting the weight. In the top position, your knees should be bent at a 90-degree angle, and your shoulders should be near the top of the bench, with your body forming a straight line between them.
- Pause at the top of the lift and squeeze your glutes, then lower your hips slowly.
- Lower your hips and repeat.
5 – CURL TO SHOULDER PRESS
- Grab two dumbbells with adequate weight for your fitness level.
- Standing up straight, have the dumbbells resting at your sides with the palms facing inwards.
- Slowly raise your forearms forward until your wrist rests above your elbow.
- Now explosively lock out your arms and raise the dumbbells above your head.
- Hold the position for a second and return to the starting point by reversing the motion.
6 – PLANK ROW
- Assume a pushup position and place your hands on a set of dumbbells.
- Ensure your arms remain fully extended, aligning your hands beneath your shoulders and orienting your palms toward each other.
- Maintain your core engaged, keeping your elbows in proximity to your body, and lift a single dumbbell off the floor.
- As you raise your elbow as high as you can, contract your shoulder blades together.
- Perform the same motion with the opposite arm.
- Continue alternating between arms until you’ve finished the 12 reps.
Functional strength workout complete! As you cool down, find your next challenge:
- 30-min full-body workout
- 15-min upper body workout
- 10-min full-body AMRAP workout
- 30-min HIIT full-body workout
- 18-min lower body workout
- 20-min upper body workout
- 10-min cardio and core workout
- 20-min shoulder strength workout
- 10-min functional bodyweight workout
- 11-min AMRAP strength workout
- 20-min lower body strength workout
- 20-min EMOM strength workout
- 15-min upper-body strength workout