ALL LEVELS / upper body strength workout / 40 minutes
Equipment: Barbell, dumbbells, lat machine & weight plate
Yes, we’re in May already, and summer is just around the corner. As the sun shines and the weather gets warmer, we look forward to sunbathing at the park or the beach. We understand summer bodies are made in winter, but we are also aware that every body is a beach body. Even so, if you’re looking for a workout to boost your upper body before summer, search no more.
Try our upper body strength workout. A training session with 5 exercises with 8 reps each. Since the number of repetitions is relatively low, you can increase your weights. This workout has 4 rounds. Plus, you get to rest 1-minute between exercises and rounds. In total, this workout should take you around 40 minutes to complete.
- Barbell shoulder press
- Bicep curl into Arnold press
- Lat pull down
- Deadlift to row
- Loaded push-up
Ready? Let’s get stronger!
- 5 exercises
- 8 reps each
- 4 rounds
- 1-min rest between exercises and rounds
- 40 minutes total
- Equipment: Barbell, dumbbells, lat machine & weight plate
WORKOUT EXERCISE LIST
1 – BARBELL SHOULDER PRESS
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a barbell with a pronated (overhand) grip at upper-chest height.
- Exhale as you push the barbell straight upward.
- At the top of the movement, shrug your shoulders to raise the barbell even higher.
- Inhale as you reverse the motions and lower the barbell to the starting position in a controlled manner.
- Do not lock your elbows out; use a grip a little wider than shoulder width.
- To move your head out of the way of the bar, rock your body slightly forward as the bar ascends and slightly backwards as the bar descends.
- Your head should be facing forward, not looking up.
- Keep your elbows a little forward, not directly out to the sides.
- Keep your wrists directly above your elbows.
2 – BICEP CURL INTO ARNOLD PRESS
- With two dumbbells in each hand, place your feet shoulder-width apart, keeping your arms by your side.
- Proceed to bend your forearms until the dumbbells almost touch your shoulders, maintaining your elbows tucked to your sides.
- While keeping your arms in that position, rotate your palms so that they face forward.
- Then, push your arms over your head until you’ve extended both arms above your head.
- Keep your core tight and your back straight.
- Return slowly to the starting position and repeat.
3 – LAT PULL-DOWN
- Adjust the pad on your legs to reduce the movement.
- Grasp the bar above your head with a wide grip. Keep looking forward with your torso upright.
- Engage your shoulder blades, and then pull the bar down in front of you – upper chest level.
- Squeeze your lats at the bottom of the move and avoid leaning back too much to facilitate the movement.
- Slowly return up and repeat.
4 – DEADLIFT TO ROW
- Standing up proud, hold two dumbbells in each arm.
- Now, bend forward until your upper body is slightly above parallel to the ground. Your back should remain under tension/straight throughout the motion.
- Row the dumbbells up and down one time. Bend your elbows and retract your shoulder blades.
- With your arms returned to the lower position, raise your upper body back up.
5 – LOADED PUSH-UP
- Place a suitable weight plate on your back. Extend one leg at a time until you’re in a plank position.
- Then, keep your arms straight, shoulders above wrists, and body in a straight line. Engage the core and glutes.
- Keeping the shoulders over the wrists, lower the whole body towards the floor, dropping comfortably as low as you can.
- Push the body upwards and return to the start position.
- Perform the exercise very slowly – 5-6 seconds down and 5-6 seconds up.
After this upper body strength workout, you can find more workouts to prepare for your summer here:
- 15-min AMRAP barbell workout
- 20-min push and pull strength workout
- 12-min endurance workout
- 15-min AMRAP metabolic strength workout
- 10-min AMRAP core workout
- 30-min chest and triceps workout
- 20-min superset workout
- 10-min no-equipment cardio workout
- 12-min kettlebell Tabata workout
- 20-min full-body functional workout
- 20-min metabolic strength workout
- 20-min upper body strength workout
- 9-min cardio AMRAP workout